There’s no other tradition as synonymous with marriage as the white wedding gown. And for some brides the process started years ago. Are you the bride who started looking for your wedding dress before you were even engaged? You’re not alone. Most brides have thought about walking down the aisle in their wedding dress for years, probably envisioning the entire process of trying on dozens of dresses and falling in love with “the one”.
While the daydreams are nice, the reality is that wedding gown shopping can be a little overwhelming. We pulled together our ultimate guide the wedding dresses and our ongoing wedding dress blog posts as a way to help brides with their wedding planning process. When you think about what is involved in finding a wedding dress you can see how things quickly get stressful. You need to find out the basic cheat sheet for wedding gowns, understand the basic dress silhouettes and body types so you can understand how they flatter your figure and then you need to find a place to buy your wedding dress.
If you’re feeling pressure to find the wedding dress of your dreams then read this ultimate guide to wedding dresses and take your time. Don’t worry and don’t rush. We chatted with experts and brides who know exactly how you’re feeling, and we asked them to spill their tips for finding the perfect wedding dress. Read on, stress less and spend more time on the rest of your wedding planning to-do list.
TOP WEDDING DRESS DO’S & DON’TS
- DO Learn the wedding dress shopping lingo: Know your “Gown Vocabulary” before you go to your appointment, so that you are sure you and the consultant are on the same page. Click here for Team Wedding’s ultimate list of wedding dress shopping lingo.
- DON’T Bring a Huge Entourage: When was the last time a group of women were all in the same room and all agreed with each other? Never! Don’t have too many people with you when shopping for your wedding dress, it is going to be a real disaster. Read more.
- DO Take Advantage of Bridal Consultants: Bridal consultants know what they’re doing. They know what they have in stock, they’ve seen every size and shape bride you can imagine, and they know how to flatter any body type. Read more.
- DO Take Pictures: Take pictures of yourself in the wedding dresses to make sure they look the way you want. Don’t just take stand up photos either, you’re going to have to pose in the dress so move around. Read more.
- DON’T Limit Yourself to One Style: A different silhouette or material may flatter you better so don’t box yourself with one style and potentially miss your dream dress. Try on styles you’re unsure about, you never know. Read more.
- DON’T Wear The Wrong Underwear: This is one most brides don’t even think about until it is embarrassingly too late. Simple rule is to make sure you wear nice underwear. The bridal consultant and likely your friends are going to see you in them, so make the effort. Read more.
- DON’T Forget About The Extras: Ever bought a car and they add on extras till you look at the final tally and the price has almost doubled from the base price. Wedding gowns work the same way. The dress is just one part of the cost. Read more.
- DO Remember Your Budget, Always: This is a no brainer. Don’t try on dresses you can’t afford. The simple law of attraction says you’re going to fall in love with the dress you can’t have and then you’re only setting yourself up for failure. Don’t do it. Read more.
- DO Move Around A Lot: You’re not going to just stand on a podium and look at your self in the mirror at your wedding. Between walking down the aisle, some photos, sitting down to eat and lots of dancing, you’re going to be moving around a lot.
- DO Have Fun: This is a once in a lifetime experience. Don’t get stressed out about finding a dress. Enjoy yourself and have some fun.